Sunday, October 16, 2016

Netflix Censorship

Hello! I said I would report any interesting findings from AP Computer Science, so here I am. A couple weeks ago we were assigned a flash talk assignment. We basically had to choose a topic and then a sub topic focus. The topic that stood out to me was censorship. When doing projects, it makes it more fun if you can talk about something you're interested in. Which is why I decided to make my sub topic something I enjoy. Naturally, I chose Netflix because who doesn't like Netflix? Below is my project that I turned in. Here is what I discovered about Netflix and censorship through my research.
~K

" Internet censorship determines what can be shown, viewed, and published on the internet. It can be controlled by the government, private organizations, and by oneself. The benefits of censorship include: shielding users from inappropriate material, viruses, and illegal content. It’s wonderful that censorship protects us from potential harm, but it also brings negative side effects. When material is censored, we are blocked from seeing the actual content. That’s great when it comes to computer viruses or graphic material, but this is not the case when it comes to movies, tv shows, and music. When these things are censored, we miss out on the original material. Personally, when I’m listening to a song, I don’t like to hear a beep cutting off the lyrics. And when I’m watching a tv show or movie, I don’t appreciate scenes being cut or skipped over. I want the whole product. Netflix, a website that allows you to watch movies and television shows, supports my view. Netflix believes that their users should have the freedom to self-select which programs they would like to watch. They provide brief descriptions of titles, what it’s rated, and a star rating based on reviews. Since Netflix users are given all this data, they are trusted to make an educated decision on what they will watch. And even if they don’t, it’s their choice to watch it. Therefore, there is no need to censor their material.
    Many support and appreciate Netflix’s decision on censorship, but currently two countries are strongly against it; Kenya and Indonesia. Both believe that Netflix content should be censored due to a fear of their people seeing explicit content that they don’t agree with. While Netflix continues to refuse censorship, Kenya and Indonesia both wish to block Netflix. Unfortunately that means that Netflix loses some international sales and the people of Kenya and Indonesia don’t get to receive the luxury of Netflix. The people of these countries should let their people make their own choices. Censorship can occasionally be used for good, but most times it’s better to give people freedom and leave things uncensored."



No comments:

Post a Comment